Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

LotR SBG Wargs

Ok, so my next project was set to be a box set of wargs and the 3 lead war riders from the Warg Attack box set.... It was a busy holiday weekend and I only got to my Wargs.... the riders are started, but nowhere near complete.



Above is the original group... glued and primered, awaiting basing.



The color pallet was very small. I used all Games Workshop paints except the grey (hidden in the back behind the XV86) used for the warg's muzzles. For that I used an IWM grey. The biggest issue I had was matching the brown used for the fur highlights and the ground highlights... My original wargs and warg riders were done a while back and I used a GW medium brown.. I forget the color, BUT... according to their new chart, it was supposed to be a match for Mournfang brown.... it was not a match... it wasn't even close! I had to blend the Mournfang and the XV86 to get the correct color. It wasn't too difficult, but it was a step I didn't think I had to do.


I used a variety of browns for the warg and the base... they closely match each other, but not quite. I used the chaos black for the eyes and some highlights or "lowlights", Bleached bone was used for the teeth and Evil Sunz scarlet for the tongues, while the faces/muzzles were a blend of IWM grey and GW chaos black. It was really a matter of blending the colors to get the shading and the dry brush colors. Below are the base models before finishing touches of more highlights and static grass.



You can see a close up of the two different styles of Wargs that come in the kits below... three of each pose. One thing I regret not doing is using a little green stuff to blend out the small gaps around the necks where the model pieces come together. This is what separates me from professional painters... I could have gone that extra yard, but forgot and didn't think of it until it was too late... I am still happy with my final pieces though... they are a tad better than tabletop/wargame quality but are far from collector's quality.


 
A quick shout out to Galeforce 9! I love their static grass.... (and other products). I primarily use Games workshop and Galeforce 9 for static grass. I used the Galeforce 9 stuff as it is the same grass I used for the original models done a few years back. While I am on the subject... I also did not use any Army Builder grass tufts.... I love them and I may go back and add them... but it would have to be on both the new and old Wargs... including the old warg riders too!


Here they are... a lot can be desired of my photo taking skills... I just use my camera phone for all of these pictures.


 
Here they are by model/pose group... a little closer, but about the same for quality of pictures. To be honest, they are not quite finished yet... I still need to seal them in matt varnish! I'll be doing that tonight.

 
In the end, I enjoyed painting them.. I always enjoy painting! Any time I get behind the brush is good time! I really hoped to get all of them done, warg riders included... I will get them done this week and then move on to something... I actually haven't thought that through yet. I have so many projects I haven't even debuted here yet! Most likely it will be more Lord of the Rings SBG stuff, but it could be something different... I'll cross that bridge when I get the other warg riders done.


I will be going over points for the game and reviewing what the warg riders and lone Wargs come out to be.... I know I have enough for a Battle Company, but as a unit, how many Wargs are practical in an army? I currently have 8 warg riders which includes a hero.. Sharku.... and then 12 Wargs.... I am thinking I only need 8 Wargs... 4 might find their way to the next HMGS flee market.... it all depends upon how the points add up. I have already taken into consideration that Wargs, once rider-less can stay on the table top and continue fighting... unlike horses who flee the battlefield. I know warg riders cost basically 26 points each, with Sharku being 60 points on a warg... not sure how much a Warg by itself costs... Sharku and the riders would cost 242... a nice unit for an army, but no army by itself, even with some Wargs, it still wouldn't hit the 500 point mark. We shall see....

1 comment: