Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2019

Counting down.. 6 more to go..... LOTR SBG Dwarves

Another quick update as I am still making headway and while I still have some momentum! I finished Durin and Mardin for the LOTR Strategy Battle Game last night and again, I am very happy with them... I opted to copy some GW images for paint schemes as I really liked them. I continued with my Games Workshop Dark Angels green as the main color focus... otherwise, I tried to duplicate what the artist did for GW... imitation is the biggest compliment yes?

This time around, since I was dealing with major heroes, I opted to actually use a shiny gold color from Iron Wind Metals over the bronze from IWM... I think it really made the armor pop... especially the details. I didn't write down the exact GW colors.. I used to know them all and they are always changing!.... 

I painted Mardin first... I used GW chaos black, highlighted by IWM light grey for his gloves, belt, pouch, armor padding, beard and eye patch. Dark Angels green for the fabric, highlighted slightly another slightly lighter GW green. IWM steel for the trident and IWM bronze and gold for the armor. His flesh was a mix/blend of IWM flesh.... 2 different containers... supposedly the same color, but years apart in manufacture.. they were clearly different... I used the older, darker one for the base and then the lighter to highlight. The base was done in small gravel painted Eshin grey and highlighted again with the IWM lighter grey. The figure was then washed in Nuln oil and then touched up with color highlights where the ink didn't set right.

Durin was up next and for him I used basically the same colors and the same process. The gold really made him stand out from the rest of my dwarves that are painted in bronze. I layered the lighter GW green over the dark angels green on the leather for his axe handle. For his cloak, I really liked the GW painted model and went with it.. or at least I tried to! I used a scorched brown and a dry brush of what I would have called snakebite leather, but it wasn't it was a shade darker. The effect worked and I am very happy with this duo. 


 
 The king and his guard, ready for battle after all of these long years of storage!  


 
 Close up of front and back of the dwarven heroes!!!



Up next... I have decided to take the easier road than the desired road... As much as I want to get my Haradrim or Riders of Rohan done, I am opting to close out my easier paint jobs. I have 8 plastic goblins for my Moria army to go.. at least until Games Workshop releases new models! That will close out my Goblins for a long while I hope.... after that? Most likely my Corsairs of Umbar... I have 3 models left to paint there, the lead heroes... I have the box set of 24 and then the 3 metal characters... I do not have any of the arbalests... but, the box of 24 has regular archers. Beyond that.. well, I haven't thought that far ahead. I have so many other projects.. SAGA, ACW naval, WW1 1/144th planes, FoW, 15mm Napoleonics.. the list goes ever on and on....




No comments:

Post a Comment