Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2018

A long time in the making....



Well, it has been a while.... life, as usual, has a way of keeping me from the hobby.


Well, I have been pretty busy, but I haven't done any posting or picture taking.... this weekend I actually remembered to pull out the camera... so, yes, more of the same shall follow.


First up, the guys have been doing a LOT of VTES lately.... with the reigns off on card manufacturing, they have gone crazy with making and printing their own decks..... they have been having a lot of fun... I made only 3 games since my last post here and they have played probably a dozen times!


The last session was a lot of fun as it was well attended.... 7 players.. and we were missing 2-3....  I wasn't the first one out, but I did get beaten.... My friend was trying a new Gangrel non combat deck with freak drives and form of mists I think to keep actions going as if unblocked.... I played the Hunters, everyone knows my fondness for all things pure strain and human!  He put such pressure on me.. I just couldn't go forward at all.


  





It is always great seeing the guys... this is most everyone, except one guy to my immediate left...

In the miniature world.. I have to get some pictures of my Frostgrave stuff up! I got a bunch done, but just never got around to posting about it or them. I'll go back and hit that topic in retrospect sometime soon!

So, beyond Frostgrave, I started on some Ghost Archipelago miniatures too... but quickly found myself back onto Games Workshop LOTR skirmish miniatures.


My son is very much into dinosaurs still and, well.. this is a prime time for us to bond.... I'll have more pics up of the progress when I switch back from LOTR miniatures.


My friend Donnie had more LOTR stuff for sale and as I have mentioned, he is a fairly decent painter. Our styles are not the same, but close enough that with little work, all of the miniatures look like they came form the same painter. I recently picked up from him what I will call his Gondorian figures.... it consisted of the old metal & plastic knights of Minas Tirith and a un-built box of all plastic Knights of Minas Tirith. There were also a mounted Farimir & standard as well as a Faramir on foot, 2 mounted Swan Knights, a contingent of 10 Ithilien rangers with Faramir and Damrod, Cirion & Madril, 10 Gondorian guards of the court with Beregond and a nice sized unit of plastic Warriors of Minas Tirith. I was also working on a couple of standards of Rohan that needed cleaned up and rebased. I got them from my brother-in-law who used to play LOTR without the magic.... You can see the other one laying down behind the super glue bottle in the first image. You will be seeing that one done real soon too.


I got one of them complete enough to clear coat in matt varnish. As usual, I used my standard assortment of GW, FoW and Iron Wind Metals paints.







While he dried, I picked up the lead and plastic knights of Minas Tirith and started working on them.. I started by scraping off the basing material and put down my standard gravel flock...



I intend for them to come out exactly like the ones I did last year. You can see below the ones I did, the ones I just rebased and started working on and then the box of plastics I will be working on very soon too! I will do a complete repaint of the knights as I do not like that shiny armor... I prefer the Iron Wind metals "Steel" or the GW Citadel "Boltgun metal" for armor. The matt varnish will shine it up a little and they look great like that. The basing materials will be the same too.... I really like using the Gale Force 9 and GW static grass along with the grass tufts. In the end I will have 16 knights, a standard and mounted Faramir.... just enough for a good mounted skirmish. As I mentioned, there was also another standard, mounted Faramir and Faramir on foot..... those guys will get a little love and then be sent off to the flea market at one of the HMGS Shows I go to every year.


When these get done, I will start on the Warriors of Minas Tirith. They will have the "Osgilliath" bases as that is where I will be doing most of my skirmishes..... Beregond and the citadel guards will get something a little more fancy as they primarily fought at Minas Tirith. I will then move on to the Rangers... Damrod, Faramir, Cirion and Madril.



Repaints and touch ups never take long, so getting these guys done will be quick and painless.... especially with my family schedule!

Like I said, some of them will wind up at the flea market and so... I am not sure how much work I will put into them.... being that they are all personalities, I will probably make them look decent enough or at least as good as the ones I use... a guy has to recoup some of the money spent yes?


Speaking of flea markets.... and eBay. I recently found some very interesting items there.... I'll start with my first purchase in a long time.... I picked up the Mines of Moria Dwarven dice tin, the Rohan and Uruk-Hai dice pouches.. each sets mentioned came with 8 dice and a initiative counter. All were in excellent shape. I also picked up a Bretonian archer to use for my Mordheim Bretonian war band...


Then I moved onto a great find from the Seattle Goodwill store.... a GW case.. the older good ones.... and it was pretty much filled with figures too! It was a great price, considering I will be reselling most of the figures and in the end, the purchase will have paid for itself! It had a lot of 1990's era 40k figures and a more modern Mordheim Warband made form Empire militia sprues.. the newer ones. I'll be posting pictures of them when they come up as a project for rebuild.


 

The case came in a bit jumbled up, but I quickly sorted it all up. There were 31 plastic orcs... there were more but they got scrapped... and some that I saved I had to take apart and re-glue as they needed some serious loving! In the end, I wound up with 31 plastic 90's era orcs, 4 bike riders w/no bikes, 3 old school weird boyz, 4 of the 5 Orc Commando box set.. (metal in image 2) and 8 metal Gretchin.... I'll sell the plastics off at $1 ea and the metal for a tad more.... that should make me half of my money back... I figure $50 for all of the Orc stuff and I'll be happy...


Layer 2 had 2 complete plastic Imperial Guard squads.. the newer ones, plastic, all Cadian.... I might be keeping these as I already have a few from an earlier trade. They were glued together really well too, so no reworking them at all.... just paint and base.
The last layer was a tad weird, it had a squad of 12 Tau warriors.... I looked them over.. they went right into the flea market bin.... $10 will take the unit.

Last but not least was a 9 man unit of what I can only describe as a Mordheim war band.... the warriors were pretty much all melee, sword and board with one two hander in there.... all made from the newer GW Empire militia box set.... nicely built.... meh paintjob.... Figure number 9 turned out to be an Empire fire wizard, plastic and broken.... he and along with about 5 orcs all made their way to the refuse bin.....

So, with Cold Wars happening what? 3 days from now..... I will have a nice batch of stuff for the flea market.... GW stuff is always fickle... but I am selling it at blow out prices.... To the mix I will be adding in some of the lead kits I talked about earlier..... some early IG assault troopers, the Steel Legion box set, the Kasrkins box set, 2 Catachan metal squads and some plastic Catachan stuff.
I plan on keeping the Cadian plastics and metal stuff I have been accumulating.... I now have 4 complete squads with some support weapons, heavy squad weapon options and 2 sets of command.... the old lead ones and the newer plastic ones. But that is another project for another day!


No comments:

Post a Comment