Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Update on the Knights of Minas Tirith.. and Boromir....

Well, nothing really to show for my efforts this week... lots of family stuff and travel for work...  I spent half the week in Sanford NC reviewing a facility there. I digress...


On the modeling front...


Out of the gates, I want to say..... damn... I have the same complaints as everyone else when it comes to the Games Workshop LOTR horses..... I don't know what plastic they used or what process they used, but damn!!! The ankles on their horses are FRAGILE!!!! Just the horses.... I had this issue with some Riders of Rohan too..... with very little pressure, they snap at the ankle.. in the same place, every time..... unbelievable!!! So far, 2 of my Knights horses broke at the ankle and needed some serious attention to get them to look right.... thank God for Locktite industrial super glues!!!! While on the subject.. I found some of the Rohan weapons or spears to be very fragile too.... Just a warning... to anyone out there working on these.... be aware of the issues!


Ok, now on to more productive notes..... I did get all of the Knights of Minas Tirith bases started... flocked.... It is amazing how far this has come in the years I have been gaming.... when I started with Games Workshop figures, I used to use the dyed green sawdust on a dark painted base... damn, they were pretty then.... Hell, I even used the green saw dust for my LOTR figures back in 2001 because that is what the folks at GW were doing!!! Flash forward.... we have glues, paste, scenic additions such as grass and tufts, even vines!


For the most part, even for my smaller models (15mm) I prefer to use some sort of rough base now a days.... that being low grit sand for 15mm and a variety of gravel sizes for anything larger.. 25-28mm. The base material gets glued down.... once dry then I do a base coat of the color I plan on using as the main base color.... again, when dry, I will dry brush a lighter complimentary color to bring up highlights/ridges in the gravel/rock mix. Afterward, when the whole model is complete.. I'll go back and do any touching up on the base and then, if I feel it needs it, I will use Scenic additions... I really like Silflor for grass tufts, etc.... but I also really like Gale Force 9 for the static grass as they have a nice variety. I also use a LOT of Army Painter products and find them very good too.


I will segue a short rant about Army Painter spray paints..... when you buy them.. use them.... if they sit, a lot of times the seals give at the bottom rim..... I love them, but I am not happy with their quality control on their cans!!!!


Anyway, in the case of the Knights of Minas Tirith for Games Workshop's LOTR miniature battle game.... (what a mouthful!).. I went with a chocolate brown from Iron wind Metals Paints and Games Workshop's similar brown.. I'd tell you the name, but it has changed so many times, I don't know what to call it.... I think it used to be bestial brown.... I then dry brushed snakebite leather over that... It gives a great effect. I am undecided on whether to use any tufts or not.... I will be using static grass... I want to give the feeling of life & death on the base.... green grass for hope and the darker grassless areas for the scorched earth the war has brought to the gates of Minas Tirith.


I did manage to get three of the bases done to the dry brush stage.... I worked on the horses... I kept the paint simple with few highlights.... I also matched up the riders with which horse they would eventually be glued to. I did start on one of the knights just to see what the overall model would look like when complete.... I have to say, I will be happy in the end.. and, that is what really matters....


That is a very important note to take away.... you game for you.... if you are happy, don't worry what others think... PERIOD. I have been painting miniatures for over 30 years on and off.. my skill has peaked and dwindled.... you don't get better if you don't practice.... yes, there are naturals, but any good painter will tell you... skill is earned through hard work.... If you are a member of the Historical Miniature Gaming Society (HMGS) or go to their shows... be sure to stop at the Hobby University.. sure, they make it look easy.... but they put the time in to get that good... they are always available to help.... and they will!!!!


I cannot tell you the amount of figures I have seen online that folks are selling or the huge stacks of figures folks are hoarding in their mountain of lead at home because they are intimidated or feel that they cannot paint well.... you have to get over it.. bite the bullet and practice!!! For me, one of the hardest things to see is the amount of GW stuff you see in flea markets at shows or on eBay.... badly painted or barely painted.... all because ADVERTISING WORKS!!! Folks see the colorful rule books and models at GW stores.... (all painted by professionals of course) and the people think.. "WOW!.. I want to do this!".... they spend all kinds of money, get a pile of lead and paints.. and then try their hand..... and often times fail to get the desired look.. thinking that they can make their models look like the ones in the books.... on their first attempt.... it makes me sad... but I would like to say to anyone reading this.... keep at it.... you do get better, it just takes time!!! Don't give up....


I'll get some pictures up of my knights when I get further along in the project... I just felt compelled to put an update up to satisfy my mind.....


I also want to add.... to go with my first rant in this post about Games Workshop horses for LOTR miniature game.... if you can.... buy the kits with the plastic riders.... as much as I prefer to paint metal.... the horses are frail.... the older kits that came out before the "War of the Ring" rules had all lead models and plastic horses.... the heavier lead will, eventually cause the horses to sag under their weight.... this is a given.... I even put wedges or supports under the horsed that have one contact point with the base to support them and prevent this from happening when they are not in use.


I also decided to play catch up on some of my models... I'll be posting some of my stuff that I painted for other games long ago.... just to add some color between my long, rambling posts.....







No comments:

Post a Comment