Search This Blog

Thursday, May 25, 2017

8th Edition.. What is all the hype? WH40K

Ok, so I have been doing a lot of painting and expect to do an update on my warriors of Minas Tirith from GW for their Lord of the Rings skirmish game soon.... but because I have the attention span of a gnat... and all of the articles and angst about the "shiny new 8th ed " for Games Workshop Warhammer 40k.... I have been drawn back in. In my blog intro I expressed the love-hate relation ship I have had with WHFB & WH40K.....


Flash forward... I still love the game/genre and have always followed the fluff as my friends still play and I visit the GW webstore often looking for Lord of the Rings miniatures.... Anyway... I have found it very hard to not jump back on board... hype is like that I guess.... so, in an effort to scratch that itch, I had to dig out some old Imperial Guard I picked up from my friend Donnie a while back.... the funny thing is.. some of the units used to belong to me and I sold them to him when he got into the game.... you have to forgive the chipping, etc... the bases are again the old early 90's goblin green with rail road green sawdust....


So without further ado... some old time pics....




This is what I discovered in my miniature collection.. I was skeptical at best. I immediately set about organizing, etc... looking to see what I actually had. It turns out there was a nice bit of stuff here...


 



 Above is a 10 man lead box set squad of Catachan that I painted sometime in the mid 90's... no worse for wear. I was glad to have these back... along with the ONLY old style Imperial Guardsman from my huge IG army that I sold off... it was huge, but back in those days.. we didn't have vehicles like they do now and you could actually use a Rhino as transport! With some work, these will be beautiful... especially after the rebasing.


 



The timing here is interesting as I got out of 40K a while back, but held onto the figures I mention above... In GW terms though, when Donnie got into the game, they were making yet ANOTHER edition change... and they were starting to move to the plastic kits... command and special weapons were still in metal blisters though. Here you have another lead 10 man Catachan squad with the sniper blisters and incomplete heavy weapons teams.... there are also some Necromunda figures in the back left and some plastic Catachan he picke up somewhere. The metal snipers are on the right... I am assuming that they are Catachan based upon how they look.




Next up is a squad of Steel legion, man, how I loved these guys, but at this point, I had had enough of GW and the rules changes... These were my figures also, but I sold them to Donnie unpainted.




Up next are the lead box set of 10 Cadian storm troopers.. the original hot shot lasers I think... I don't remember if I sold these to him or he picked them up afterward... this is a unit of 7 lasguns, 2 plasmas, a flamer, captain and some other guy.. not sure... what...








Last up is the plastic Cadians.... I am not sure what he bought, but they are mine now... from what I have on hand, I have 2 platoons of the new plastic Cadians and some options... for weapons teams... plasma and melta and flamer.... Included in this is the original lead Cadian command. The wounded Cadian I have still, just not pictured. The command team has an officer, standard, com guy... apparently with the old style vox  and then an additional lead blister that had the melta and plasma.


There is a variety of the extra hand held weapons... there is one guy modeled for a grenade launcher and the other plastics are flamers...


So now the question is.... how do I scratch this itch? I have plenty to do here.... and, God only knows I already have a huge mountain of lead, resin and plastic to work on already.... If I were to get back into 40K... The Catachan would definitely be going.... in fact, I think everything would be going except the plastic Cadians.... I would pick up the new plastic Cadian command and some additional units. As much as I love the older figures, I like the newer ones better and I am sure that out there is someone who is looking for the older style figure to go with their army form that age in GW history... They will be making it to a flea market table at one of the HMGS conventions soon enough. The important thing is that with the plastic Cadians, I have the basis for an army.... I can buy the starter pack and the assault pack and get basically a Leman Russ and Chimera for free with 2 more squads of IG, command and a Kommisar.


For now.. I will continue working on my Lord of the Rings figures.. the warriors of Minas Tirith.... but soon.... I will swap out .... it is good to have so many options.... I am never bored!!!

1 comment:

  1. OK, so I was informed that the "unknown" guy I stuck in my storm trooper squad is actually the unpainted medic from the old Cadian command group... he goes with the wounded Cadian

    ReplyDelete